Activities in and around Doringbaai
Doringbaai has a lot more to offer than at first glance. Here are some of the activities to keep you busy with:
- On good days you can go surfing, kayaking and even windsurf.
- Fishing can be done from the shore or if you brought your boat along, there is a slipway to launch it from.
- Crayfish diving, watching the diamond vessels mine and catching a glimpse of the whales in the right weather and season.
- If you're feeling adventurous, there is the Crayfish Trail to hike through between Doringbaai and Strandfontein and cycling routes along the coast for you to follow.
- Not far from Doringbaai is the Olifants River mouth, which is approximately 15km drive, there you can go birding and kayaking to explore the area.
- Follow the wine route through the Western Cape.
- Go golfing near Lutzville.
- Visit the Seal and Cape Gannet bird colony island in and around Lamberts bay - which also offers must-see places such as the open air Muisbosskerm and Bosduifklip restaurants.
- Stop at Vanrhynsdorp and see the quiver-tree nursery, rooibos plantations and the breathtaking view from the Vanrhyns mountain pass.
- Next to Doringbaai you will find Strandfontein, a holiday village with a big sandy beach, restaurant, small super-tube, camping grounds and more accommodation on offer. Strandfontein is well known for its "kommetjie" - a man made tide pool, where children can safely play in.
- Don't forget to bring your camera during spring time, as the flower season in Namaqualand is an unforgettable sight to behold.
- Vredendal is the closest town offering the most services from major banking, shopping centres and a hospital for any emergencies.
There are many more activities like 4x4 trails, mountain biking and wildlife tours on offer further out from Doringbaai, but if you wish to simply relax, you can just watch the view of the sea from the comfort of your bed at Thornbay Accommodation.
© PierreCor 2016 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.